Can my trustee extend my bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy normally ends after 3 years and 1 day.

If a creditor makes you bankrupt, the bankruptcy period starts when we accept your statement of affairs. If you need to file a statement of affairs, download and complete the form now. You can send us a document or form online.

In some cases, your trustee may object to your bankruptcy ending. We call this an objection to discharge. Your bankruptcy could be extended for up to 8 years if you fail to:

  • provide information to your trustee
  • disclose all income
  • make compulsory payments[?]
  • explain how you spent money
  • reveal all assets and debts.

What if I want to request a review?

You can request a review of, or appeal, your trustee's decision by completing and lodging a 'Request for review' form.
For more information see: Request for review

Once we receive your request for review:

  • We’ll reply your request.
  • We may ask you to provide further information or evidence.
  • We’ll provide a written explanation of any decisions made.
  • If required, we’ll explain further ways to appeal.

Find out about: